My best friend sat 20 rows behind me in the rollercoaster

Photo by Stephen Hateley on Unsplash

It's a fun day and we queue for the rollercoaster in a fun park. Too many people, we didn't get into the same row. It's a scary one. I sit in the front row. We get pulled up, there is nothing in front of me but open space. Blue sky, a seat below me, a belt around me. My neighbour makes a joke saying "If I fall sick, I will distribute evenly to both side." Nice! Something to look forward too on a sunny day... Not. It didn't happen and I am glad.

My fear is growing, I take a look on my watch that measure my heartbeat and see it's high. We are reaching the point of no return. Any moment now and we will feel like falling. The shock. No air. Or better too much air. My lungs can't take it. Then the moment I can breath again and my brain and body notice I won't die. I raise my arms. I laugh. I enjoy it.

My best friend sits 20 rows behind me. She still breaths, when I can't. I already raise my hands while her brain still signals danger. We experience the same but not at the same time.

Everyone always says life is like a rollercoaster. It's fun and it's fear. We can't breath in one moment and in the other we laugh. It goes up and it goes down. Life is not consistent. The only consistent thing is that change will surely knock on the door at some point. And it may not knock at the same time for you and the people you love.

The year starts well. I got a new job. I will move to a new place. Life is good. I am at the part of the rollercoaster were I can laugh. My best friend sits 20 rows behind me. She currently can't breath. It's hard for her to share my enthusiasm. She surely will try and she will hug me and tell me how awesome everything will be. But she doesn't feel it. She can't breath. We are currently not at the same stage on the ride. That can happen. But she shows empathy. Celebrating with me those successes.

I need to hold on for a moment, also understanding that she is currently on a different path of the track. She is truly happy for me but she might not be as enthusiastic as me just now. This doesn't mean that my achievements aren't great. Emotions aren't always the same and while I totally deserve to be happy for myself, it is also OK to listen to my friend and agree with her that certain things in life can suck. Both is possible at the same time.

Our carriages reach the flat area, slowing down before we all get off. We have time to calm down, catch our breath. Smile. Sort out our hair and check if we still have our shoes. We are at the same stage, or at least closer to that than during the ride. We reach the platform. We are fine, we are save and we had fun. Everything turned out to be alright in the end.

Comments